Hawks and Reptiles

Monday, November 21, 2011

New week, short week. THANK GOODNESS. I'm getting burned out at work- I suppose self-indulgence and self-involvement at the expense of those you hired is normal in wealthy culture, but it makes me tired. Boss lady hasn't been mean, just annoyingly self involved. Remember my big extra check I was supposed to receive for the work I did on the Gala? She lost it. After I spent three days asking for it. Because she couldn't spare the 5 minutes looking for it in her multiple purses whilst running out the door with her daughter (who is annoyingly condescending for no good reason) to go shopping for a couch for the back patio. Really? That's why two weeks since the Gala has gone by and I still haven't been paid? Aaaand she second-guessed why I was receiving that big chunk of moolah. Ummm, because I spent the four weeks prior to the event working 70 hour work weeks, including balancing your absurd "needs" against quality of Auction information. Aaanyway, the Director of the non-profit is gone for Thanksgiving, so I don't even know if I can get a replacement check written until a week from now. Poop. 

Enough complaining. Because I'm wearing reptile. 

Skirt: Thrifted...Blouse: Banana Republic, Thrifted...Cardigan: Target...Belt: thrifted...Shoes: MaxStudio.com via DSW





Today's 30 Days Hath November- Day 21: Something I could never tire of...

I could never tire of enjoying nature. We live in the MIDDLE of Houston. A park consists of a tiny green patch of grass, scattered picnic tables and a water feature to keep kids cool in the summer. New condos and houses are built riiight up to the setback lines. Landscaping consists of a shrub of two. But, every once in a while, I catch a glimpse of "real" nature and I am so appreciative of that moment. The last few days, we've been able to open the windows and enjoy the fresh air, but that means we're subjected to the most obnoxious bird constantly squawking. I kind of figure it must be something special if it was around and screaming for days on end, so this morning, I went on the hunt when Miles and I went for our morning walk. Thank goodness his nose was engaged, because I was able to let him stop to sniff at the perfect angle to see an enormous hawk screeching away at the top of an old oak tree. I never saw a nest, but its sentry position and vigilance makes me think something must be around. I love that my eye can so easily find creatures, so quickly identify plants, even in the city. I love learning about native species, but there's just so little of it here, I appreciate whatever I can find. I can't wait to have kids and expose them to the thrill of being in nature.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...