Something to be proud of

Monday, November 14, 2011

Day 13 of 30 Days Hath November: Something I'm proud of- Fair warning, it's about to get a little personal 'round here.

My blog is called "the Perpetual Student's Wife." Not because I thought it would be cute, but because this life path was not my intention. My husband is working on advanced degrees (in Music Composition) and is going straight through. The educational process lasts for.ev.er. I didn't think he would stiiiill be a student after 5 years of marriage rolled around. The game plan was to knock out a Masters and start teaching. Apparently I missed the subtext that spelled out the terms of what teaching positions he would accept. High school music programs aren't his passion. He wants to teach at the collegiate level. Which requires one to obtain a doctorate. Well, shit. There goes another four years. And somehow I became the sole income for our little family. Going on 5 years. That's a lot of pressure.
Here's what I'm proud of: There are days that I resent being placed in this position. There are months that go by that I see very little of my Guy. There are times that I crave babies so much it physically aches but starting a family is out of the question with no insurance (I seem to keep finding weird jobs with no benefits). But I have never failed to provide. I am proud of how far I've gone to make ends meet. I'm proud that I've been able to remain relatively even-keeled when all the stress and financial burden falls on my shoulders. I'm proud that I am a good provider for my little family. But, my Guy sure as shit owes me big time after this!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...